Global Citizens
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain

+3
Nariman.A
Rawan Fouad Asad
Maram Majid
7 posters

Go down

Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain Empty Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain

Post  Maram Majid Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:57 pm

Geography
Bahrain, which means “two seas,” is an archipelago in the Persian Gulf off the coast of Saudi Arabia. The islands for the most part are level expanses of sand and rock. A causeway connects Bahrain to Saudi Arabia.

Government
Constitutional monarchy.

History
Known in ancient times as Dilmun, Bahrain was an important center of trade by the 3rd millennium B.C. The islands were ruled by the Persians in the 4th century A.D., and then by Arabs until 1541, when the Portuguese invaded them. Persia again claimed Bahrain in 1602. In 1783 Ahmad ibn al-Khalifah took over, and the al-Khalifahs remain the ruling family today. Bahrain became a British protectorate in 1820. It did not gain full independence until Aug. 14, 1971.

Although oil was discovered in Bahrain in the 1930s, it was relatively little compared to other Gulf states, and the wells are expected to be the first in the region to dry up. Sheik Isa ibn Sulman al-Khalifah, who became emir in 1961, was determined to diversify his country's economy, and he set about establishing Bahrain as a major financial center. The country provides its people with free medical care, education, and old-age pensions.

Conflicts between the Shiites and Sunnis are a continuing problem in Bahrain. The Sunni minority, to which the ruling al-Khalifah family belongs, controls nearly all the power and wealth in the country. Shiite Muslims have continued to agitate for more representation in government, and minor violent clashes have led to about two dozen deaths since 1994.

Bahrain has been an important Western ally, serving as a Western air base during the Persian Gulf War in 1991 and the Iraq war in 2003. It continues to serve as the base of the United States' Fifth Fleet, which patrols the Gulf.

The emir, Sheik Isa ibn Sulman al-Khalifah, died in 1999 after four decades of rule. He was succeeded by his son, Sheik Hamad ibn Isa al-Khalifah, who gave himself the title of king but also began a sweeping democratization of the country: censorship has been relaxed and draconian laws repealed, exiles have been repatriated, and the stateless Bidoons have been granted citizenship. In a Feb. 2001 referendum, which permitted women to vote for the first time, Bahrainis overwhelmingly supported the transformation of the traditional monarchy into a constitutional one. In Oct. 2002, Bahrain had its first parliamentary election since 1973. In 2006, the U.S. and Bahrain signed a free-trade agreement.

Maram Majid

Back to top Go down

Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain Empty Re: Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain

Post  Rawan Fouad Asad Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:58 pm

I LOVE MY COUNTRY SEAS ARE MAGNEFICINT

THANKS FOR THE TOPIC
Rawan Fouad Asad
Rawan Fouad Asad

http://www.missrawan.piczo.com

Back to top Go down

Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain Empty hay

Post  Nariman.A Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:32 pm

that was great keep goin cheers
Nariman.A
Nariman.A

Back to top Go down

Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain Empty Re: Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain

Post  miss naughty Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:36 pm

miss naughty
miss naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  miss naughty Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:36 pm

miss naughty
miss naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  miss naughty Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:37 pm

miss naughty
miss naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  miss naughty Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:37 pm

miss naughty
miss naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  miss naughty Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:39 pm

5 Thanks For sharing hun really wonderful information I love you

Love you all ,
Miss naughty
miss naughty
miss naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  Ms. Rehab A Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:40 pm

yes really important and interesting

thanks for the topic
Ms. Rehab A
Ms. Rehab A

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda.88 Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Nice Topic

Very Intersting
Panda.88
Panda.88

Back to top Go down

Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain Empty Geography, Goverment, History of bahrain

Post  charmi123 Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:32 pm

Story is fentastic.
I forward most people.

Thank you.

http://www.angelnx.com/
charmi123
charmi123

http://www.angelnx.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down